My Good Friday tradition

My Good Friday tradition nearly went out the window this year, as late in the afternoon yesterday. I discovered I hadn't bought any Hot Cross Buns. So, after watching the TV soaps I headed off to Tesco to grab some (disregarding hubby's suggestion to make some - does know how long that takes?). Even Tesco's supply was low. I wandered over to the Chocolate Eggs and they were few and far between too. My youngest son still likes an egg, but my other son just prefers chocolate. I managed to get what I needed, including a bar of chockie for husband and headed home.

This morning the ritual commenced. My older son was working (no let up in retail) so by about 8.10am I had a tray with Hot Cross Buns straight from the oven and mugs of tea to disperse around bedrooms. My younger son was still asleep and barely managed to cobble together two word, but you know this is a tradition, (handed down by my mum) and it takes place whether the recipients are asleep or awake! It's the one morning in the year my older son eats breakfast!

My younger son has just now emerged from his bedroom (11.02am). Yes, he fell back to sleep, yes, his tea went cold and he didn't drink it, but when he woke again he ate the Hot Cross Bun. He's in the kitchen making coffee at the moment.

I wonder whether my kids will carry on this tradition. Even if they don't, I bet when they eat Hot Cross Buns they will remember. These things stay with you. They take you back to childhood, your childhood home, your parents and memories you thought you'd forgotten.

I am sure my kids will have lots of memories of their mad mother in the years to come and will tell their kids and laugh over silly things, like the time when they were young and the lid fell off the black pepper pot and swamped my beans on toast - I still ate them, I love baked beans! They remind me of that frequently!

Making memories - that's what it's all about. Enjoy your Hot Cross Buns.

Comments