A walk, a house and a garden

Writer of 'King Solomon's Mines'
Hubby had not been well this week so I wasn't sure we would be able to join the free guided walk in Hammersmith today. Thankfully, he is better and we went. The walk was on VE Day and where the bombs dropped, mainly with reference to Hitler's attack on Montgomery. We saw where buildings once stood - a whole terrace of houses, now a garden, and the difference in buildings where repairs were done. Along the way we saw a blue plaque for the writer of King Solomon's Mines and passed the school of St Paul's (cathedral school). Now only the lodge and house remain. This is now a restaurant and hotel.


St Paul's School now a restaurant/hotel
After the walk (and a hot drink at the William Morris pub to warm up), hubby needed to go off and pick up some train tickets, so I decided to do a little sight seeing and wandered off to Hogarth House in Chiswick. It is such a sweet house. Hogarth is perhaps best known as an engraver, and in the house are some of his engraving implements and a copper plate. Various engravings fill the walls to the rooms, including The Rakes Progress. I was amused to see one modern  engraving done in the style of Hogarth entitled The Hogarth Roundabout, which if you have ever been that way is a huge thing. I had to walk via the subway under the it to get to the house. I loved the picture. The house is set to the side of a small garden, the bottom of which you get a good view of the house.

Hogarth House

Engraving tools and copper plate

The Hogarth Roundabout!

Hogarth House

Leaving there I headed off to Chiswick House only to find the house was shut for a private function. However, the gardens were open and they are quite extensive and lovely to walk through. I then had to negotiate the main road and try and find my way towards Church Street as I wanted to visit St Nicholas Church where William Hogarth was buried. Luckily, I found the road which had some lovely old buildings and a pub (of course). The church was sadly shut (such a shame so many churches are now shut during the daytime), but I had a wander through the cemetery and found Hogarth's grave.
Conservatory, Chiswick Gardens

Italian Gardens



Ionic Temple and Mirror Pool, Chiswick Gardens



From there I headed to the River Thames and in the direction back to Hammersmith. I could not believe it when I spotted hubby coming towards me. I thought he'd got my text, but no, he'd left his mobile at home! All down to luck. At least we were able to travel home together.

Church Street, Chiswick

St Nicholas Church

William Hogarth grave


River Thames at Chiswick


Comments