Two Book Reviews

The following two books I read because they came up in discussion at my book group earlier this month after a summer of reading what we each chose. I decided to give them a go. I borrowed The Children Act (Ian McEwan) from the library. I particularly liked the subject matter - a seventeen year old boy refusing a blood transfusion due to his religious beliefs. High Court Judge Fiona Maye had to decide whether to uphold this or to agree with the hospital and let them go ahead. She visits the boy in hospital and something stirs within her. While this is going on Fiona's husband has walked out on her. The Judgment Fiona makes has repercussions which affect them both. I have to say that at one point I wondered where the story was going as the Judgment comes about  mid way through the book and I thought, okay so what's there left to say? The story took its time getting to the point but the ending is worth it. McEwan's book is not much on dialogue. This is only the second book of his I've read (Chesil Beach being the other), and that book too had little dialogue. I wonder if all his books are like this? I actually like dialogue. There were times when I really missed it and thought, this would have been better with some first hand conversation. However, the process of the court procedure caught me and I enjoyed the dialogue very much there. I just felt that the second half dragged in places. Each to their own, I guess.

The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton is brilliant. I have only just put it down, having spent the last two afternoons in the garden reading the last half! Eighteen year old Nella Oortman arrives at the house of Johannes Brandt to begin her new life as his wife. The house is run by Johannes's sister and two servants, an ex-slave and a girl from an orphanage. Her husband, while avoiding the marriage bed, presents Nella with a cabinet-sized replica of their home and Nella finds a miniaturist to make some items for it. Soon items are coming that she has not asked for. (When I first began this book I kept thinking of Girl With A Pearl Earring due to it's setting in Amsterdam)

When Nella finds her husband with a young Englishman her life begins to unravel, as do the lives of the others in the house. The items in the replica house also begin to take on a life of their own and Nella believes the Miniaturist to be a prophetess. When she searches for the woman she can never find her. Events take a bad turn after the couple whose sugar Johannes is selling, see him with the young man and Johannes is arrested as a Sodomite. There is so much going on in the pages of this book each chapter is a revelation. The sister, the servants, all have their secrets. Nothing is what it seems but from frosty beginnings they all pull together and discover love and respect for one another. I loved this book. I can say no more than read it!

Comments