Book Review - Knots & Crosses

Just finished Ian Rankin's first Rebus book Knots & Crosses. I loved the introductions where Rankin talks about how the book came about - that it was originally to be a one off! He talked about how he looks back at it now and cringes at the writing. So, I set about this book looking for clues of the early writer and realised I was analysing and not reading. I then allowed myself to go with it and enjoy the book. I liked how Rebus' past came out through hypnotism - very grim - and how it affected him in life. Good tension piece. At the back of the book is a map of Edinburgh and book club questions. What made me laugh was that Rebus brother is the hypnotist which was weird because the last book I read was set in the world of magicians! Anyway, a good first novel which I believe didn't sell well in the beginning. Look what happened later!

I now want to read Flood, Rankin's first published book (unrelated to Rebus). While I was in the library last night killing some time I read the introduction to Flood. This is not my usual library so I didn't borrow it. I'll get it from my library, maybe next week, though the new book club read is now in and I've just started reading a new book!

Comments