Guided walk - Ravenscourt Park

Once a month Hammersmith business group, through LoveHammersmith, pay for a Blue Badge Guide to organise a one hour walking tour.(They hope you will spend money in town afterwards!) Hubby and I have been on several of these walks. Today's was a jaunt around Ravenscourt Park. I'd only been here once before, years ago before hubby and I married. We attended a Firework Display. Today the park was full of tiny tots playing or training for football and rugby, kids in the children's play areas and lots of people playing tennis. It reminded me of those cold mornings with the boys when they played Little League football.

Anyway, today we were there to learn about various people who had lived in the area. Richard Hillary, was a WWII pilot who wrote a book entitled The Last Enemy based on his own experiences. He attended the hospital overlooking the park, which later converted to a Masonic Hall. We also heard about a woman potter who was favoured by the royal family a couple of times, the man who laid out the country garden within the park, and our guide read a couple of entries in books describing the park and gardens in the past. All these walks are interesting and totally free to holders of the LoveHammersmith card. They even throw in a free hot drink and biscuit at one of the nearby pubs (usually a different one each time). Now I have my Oyster 60+ card I don't even pay for the transport. It's not often you get something for nothing, but once I month hubby and I get a free morning walk and refreshments. Can't be bad.






A misty Putney from the bridge (change of bus here)

Comments