Book Review - Absolution

I have just slogged through the book Absolution by Patrick Flanery. This was chosen off the reading list we use at the book club I attend. All I can say is that I'm so glad it's over! The book is set in South Africa. Clare, a writer, is having her biography written and is looking back on her life. The biographer is caught up in her story and though they remember each other it takes the whole book for them to finally acknowledge that and to talk about the past. The backdrop is the apartheid movement and how she and members of her family were involved at the edges of it and the guilt Clare feels over the death of her sister and the disappearance of her daughter (the link to Sam, the biographer).

The novel is confusing, jumping times and scenes. There are various versions of the same incident. I felt it was overlong, boring in places and just did not grab me. I don't think I say much more.

Comments