Book Reviews - Pagan Journeys & Career of Evil

Two very different books to review this time. The first is a small book (79 pages) from Susie Kearley entitled Pagan Journeys, and is a collection of articles and interviews on Druidry, sacred places, and natural health, I was attracted to this because I've always had a slight leaning to some pagan traditions and in the back of my mind I've wondered whether to write some fiction set in the time of Druids. It may never come off like some of my other ideas, but apart from reading Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd which I believe started off in this era (it's ages since I've read it but I do so like his books), I know little about Druids. Reading the accounts of those who chose this way of life was fascinating and I learned the difference between Druids and those who practice Wicca. Strangely, and this is how things go, I'd recently been to Preston Manor near Brighton which has links to the occult. There is a very interesting exhibition in one of the rooms and on sale are books, Tarot cards and jewellery. I found it all fascinating and ended up buying a book (as you do) and I picked up a leaflet about Druids.

I feel I have a lot in common with them - the earth based 'religion', if you like. It spills over into the Celtic leanings I have. So, this little book was a delight to read. I have been to Stonehenge (going down the hill on the bus is one of the best views and feelings in the world as the stone come into view) and had a quick visit to Avebury but I long to return again. There was something about that place which is hard to define.

I found all the articles (previously published in various magazines) insightful and the book left me wanting to explore more.

Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith (aka J K Rowling) is the third in the Cormoran Strike series (Private Detective). I'd heard that this was more grisly (well the last was actually) but I can read stuff like that but I struggle to watch it.

This time someone is out to get Strike, someone from his past. When a woman's leg arrives at the office addressed to his partner Robin Strike is not going to leave it up to the Police and he and Robin begin their own investigation. The suspects include four men who Strike came into contact with during his time in SIB, part of the Military Police. As they begin to track down the men Strike worries for Robin, who has her own problems, a potential relationship breakup with Matthew who she is due to marry soon.

The twists and turns are brilliant and every so often you reach a chapter narrated in the voice of the killer. It could be any of the four men and I was switching between two of them. When the final revelation came I was surprised. I never saw it coming! And as the relationship between Strike and Robin suffers you are left wondering if Strike will save the day. All I will say is that I was cheering at the end and the author has left things at a point where you know there is another book coming. And I can't wait! Brilliant. Each chapter begins with lyrics from the band Blue Oyster Cult (who the killer is obsessed with). One of my favourite songs of theirs Don't Fear the Reaper has such a great guitar riff running through it. I am now on the edge of my seat waiting for the next book. How can the author leave me hanging like this?

Comments