Going vegan for a month - Day fifteen

My short tennis playing was awful today. Can't put that down to going vegan. Strangely we all had an off day. Must be something in the air. However, I did serve a couple of aces, so all is not lost.

Well, I'm half way through my vegan pledge and it's getting quite normal for me. Things have improved since I last went vegan. Cafes are getting on board much more but there is still a lot that could be done in some which barely recognise vegetarianism let alone veganism. A few are so bad the staff really don't understand what is in their dishes.

Today was the big cook-up for the church fair, which is on tomorrow. So there I was in the kitchen peeling spuds at 8.30am so I could get my cooking done before I went out for play sport. Here they are my masterpieces! Spot the difference. Now if someone says the obvious thing, that one is smaller than the other, they'll get a slap! The main contents are the same for both - veggie mince, carrot, onion, gluten-free/lactose free stock cube (some carrot water too), oregano, Marmite, tomato puree, black pepper. The difference comes in the potato topping - the veggie one is mashed with butter and milk, the vegan one with soya spread and soya milk. The vegan one is for me really so I have something to eat tomorrow while I'm serving lunches to everyone else. There are two portions so I can sell one portion. Both dishes are gluten free.

My own lunch today was rather a strange affair. I needed space in the fridge so I ate two left overs together - baked beans and sweet and sour tofu. It was actually very tasty mixed together! There was only a small portion, even together, so I followed that with a slice of fruit loaf and a Provamel vanilla dessert. Yes, quite a strange lunch.

Hmm and stranger dinner. I decided to make some sweet potato chips and they worked well with a shake of paprika and sea salt. And because I didn't want to spend ages cooking I stir fried some braised tofu with green pepper, cannelloni beans and a squirt of tomato puree. It looks a bit of sloppy mess and not the best meal I've made. Oh well, can't win them all.

Sweet potato chips with braised tofu
 Iced my cakes for the cake stall at the fair tomorrow. These are not vegan and it's a shame I can't eat one! When I made them I missed licking the bowl - cooks perks. I've always done it so I made sure I scraped out every last morsel for the cakes.

Ginger & Lemon Buns



Comments