Going vegan for a month - Day sixteen

No pictures of food today. I had the vegan cottage pie (I made yesterday) for lunch (at the Fair) and the rest for dinner tonight at home. At the fair we had dinners going out on a conveyor belt at times when the rush was on.

Usual things on the day - finding someone tall enough to switch on the main switch so we could get the extractor fan to work over the hob (when the lights all come on it's great. I call it mission control!). Then there was the finding of a 'sparky' to light the hob - the matches petered out as soon as lit (the extractor fan was whooshing so hard!), getting all the cottage pies in the two ovens, getting the veg on way in advance. I dared not look to see what was happening in the roll prep area but one lady used my veggie spoon for meat (Yikes) so I had to rescue it, then some meat fell in the veg pot (double yikes). I'm sure my friends thought I was crazy when I said I bought my own cottage pie.

Not sure quite what happened but we seemed to have a lot of food left over. I think some people had used larger dishes and someone made two when probably asked for only one. I sold less veggie than usual and at the end we decided to sell some to take away. We found some boxes and sold them £1 a box. We sold 6 or 7 that way. As well as cottage pies we had apple crumble and the two course meal was £4. One guy came looking for a veggie box to take home but then said he had no money. He had learning difficulties and I felt sorry for him so I boxed him up a huge portion for free and he sat down and ate it before we closed. I didn't want to bring much stuff home but there was some left. Hubby had one portion for dinner and there is one left.

We we were all exhausted but we made about £350 on lunches and refreshments, so a very good sum. I came home for a cuppa and then went out to buy the food for the cafe on Monday. I've at last done a massive washing up job (did tons at the fair) and sorted things out.

Tomorrow I intend to take things easy, work on my course and read. Speaking of books I picked up three for £1 at the fair. Oh and we had a live band who entertained us with Christmas songs and others.



Comments