Going vegan for a month - Day twenty-eight


Hubby keeps asking me when my vegan pledge is over. Is it boredom with the subject or does he have plans? I guess I'll have to wait and see.

ETHICS

The Vegan Society say that while the world population has doubled since the 1960's world meat production has quadrupled. Because it takes so much grain and water to feed animals which in turn feed us, is this right? It takes a lot less of the earths resources to feed humans a non animal diet. Destruction of areas to raise cattle in poor countries is crazy. And it is always the poor who suffer first. And while people would like to think that the animals are well treated while they are growing to the required slaughter point it isn't always the case. Often they are stuffed full of antibiotics and grown to life-threatening weights so they are unable to  move naturally. Then there is the slaughtering itself. Mistakes are made in the process and some staff treat the animals cruelly. I have seen some dreadful footage. If these were people there would uproar.

Right now there is the issue of the new five pound notes which contain tallow. People are protesting (yes, I signed the petition) but it seems vegetarians and vegans have been particularly singled out but this also affects Sikhs, Hindus, Jains and others. It does seem that notice is being taken and I hope a solution can be found.

Things like this highlight what certain groups feel, though for some people they want to know what all the fuss is about. I'm happy to tell them.

Of course people avoid animal products for various reasons - ethical, religious grounds, health, and environment are the major ones. I once had someone justify the eating of meat using the Bible (sorry if I've used this before...I'm losing the plot!). If you read the Bible it wasn't until after the flood that we were told to eat meat - no mention before that. Anyway, it's a bad excuse. There are lots of things in the Bible that we don't do now. These are different times. I was asked once if being a vegetarian was part of me being a Christian. No. I stood for animals before I was a Christian. However, the caring for animals and people is a Christian value as far as I'm concerned. I'm a radical Christian anyway!

The main point is that we have lost our connection with the earth. Early man had respect for animals. They killed what they needed and they prayed over the dead animal for it's spirit, thanking it for supplying what they needed for food and clothing. Can't see that happening in Waitrose any time soon over the meat counter! I wonder, if everyone had to kill, skin and prepare their meat, chicken and fish would they feel the same about it?

The most comments I get from people is - what would all the farmers do if we stopped animal production? Where would all the animals go? What about the Inuit people? People come before animals. I like my meat I'm not giving it up! That's fine. Each to their own. All I'm doing is pointing out what some, and increasingly more, people believe, that those without a voice (and that includes people) need us to speak for them.

Once again, I'd like to say that these are my views.

So on today's menu: Lunch was homemade chunky vegetable soup made with a soup mix of split peas, yellow and green lentils, barley etc. to which I added onion, carrots and turnip, a stock cube and seasoning.



Dinner: Falafels with stir-fry (peppers, onion, courgette, tomatoes and left over cous-cous).




Comments