Canary Whaf and Museum of London Docklands

Canary Wharf in the fog
I set a whole day aside to tackle Canary Wharf. You need it! I like to think I can find my way around London but here I got lost several times. Coming in on the DLR the first thing you have to worry about is which exit to use. I had no idea. I was trying to find my way to the Museum of Docklands. I decided that would be my first point of call as the weather was foggy and bitter. I kept checking maps outside but couldn't seem to work out which direction I needed (I'm not good with maps). While I was wandering around I came to the Crossrail building. I was fascinated by this, especially as I'd watched a TV programme about building it and how the roof was being put together. After taking a few photos (the roof garden was my main interest) I vowed to return later.

I set off again for the museum and finally found a signpost and followed only to discover this was just following a very busy road. I stopped a guy who was picking up rubbish and he directed me back the way I'd come. It occurred to me as I was speaking to him that I was asking someone not from this country. He knew and I didn't. I found it rather amusing but was very grateful! I could have lost forever. In fact I'd been close to it at one point. Silly me.

The Museum of Docklands was brilliant. It hadn't been high on my list of places to see because I thought it would be about boats - not really my thing. How dim am I? I should not make judgements. I really enjoyed my visit. The exhibitions are spread over three floors. There were lots of children, mums and tots, and a party of school kids. There was an excellent film to start and one little tot sat by me and did that thing they do....'boat', 'shark'....Hmmm! Cute.



The floors cover the early life of the river, the different docks, sugar and slavery, war and the docks today. Very interesting and informative. Next month there is to be an exhibition about the finds since digging for Crossrail. I may have to make a return visit. Hopefully I'll find it easier next time! The Museum has a nice cafe (hot chocolate very welcome) and a shop, good toilets and a bar/restaurant, at least I think it was but I didn't investigate. Very family friendly place. Recommended.


Outside I set off back to the Crossrail building to inspect the Roof Garden (see pics) and then went in search of Jubilee Park. This proved again how good my skills at finding my way around are. I ended up in Canary Wharf station on the Jubilee Tube Line! At least I was on the right track (did I say that?). I did find it eventually. Canary Wharf has a Winter Lights Festival at present (finishes this week). I'm sure it must look great at night. I tried taking some photos of the displays anyway but the effect isn't great. Canary Wharf garden has an ice rink and illuminated benches. Different.

Crossrail showing Roof Garden

Roof Garden



I took a few more photos of buildings and ended up at Heron Quays where I caught the DLR back to Limehouse and had a late lunch in my room. My stay was slipping away much like the fog which had lifted. I read in the lounge and fell asleep! The sun  came out in a blink but I did get a nice picture from my window of the evening sky.

Time is up. I'll be off to bed soon and then after breakfast I'll be going home. I shall miss my room but I have missed my pillow at home. I'm very particular about pillows!

Part of the Winter Lights Festival (Crossrail Building)

Jubilee Park


A glowing bench, Canary Wharf

Ice Rink


Evening comes through my window

Comments