He's leaving home

Today was moving out day for sporty son. He and his girlfriend have moved into a flat share not far away. So it's been a difficult day for me. It's a new page in our family history. I am pleased for him and his girlfriend. And he is only a few miles away. Flat sharing seems different to my day. Landlords are keen to make every penny they can. All rooms are let so there is no lounge. Your room is where you live and sleep. There is a shared bathroom and kitchen. One good thing is that the flat has been newly decorated and all furniture is new. Even so, how he and his girlfriend will get everything in their room I don't know. In fact my son's bedroom doesn't look much different to when he was in it there are so many clothes left behind!

In the flat there are three double bedrooms and a single and one bathroom. It's bad getting in our bathroom with four people. With the potential of seven it sounds impossible. But my son tells me that so far only two single people have taken on rooms. That sounds better for the bathroom stakes!

As I was giving my son a hug he said 'I am coming back next week.' Yes, I know he'll be back for more things and visits but it will never be quite the same again. He insisted he was leaving a toothbrush here because he might stay a night sometimes. Oh yes? I had designs on his room for my writing space. But there is no space yet. It's just not going to happen. But it's the end of era. I always knew he'd be the first to leave home and I'm lucky to have had him living here so long. I'll miss the strong whiff of body spray trailing as he leaves, but I won't miss the washing, the debris from his cooking exploits or the late night showers (our room is next to the bathroom). It's going to seem very strange.

My baby boy

Comments