Singing for Love Kingston and a little piece of history

You learn something new everyday, goes the motto. Well, maybe not everyday, but I certainly discovered something new and exciting this morning.

As part of Love Kingston celebrations Euphonix was singing and raising funds for various local charities. Our first stint was outdoors by what is known as the Undercroft at the back of the John Lewis store, right by the river Thames. I'd never been there but I learned last week that there were remains of the original Kingston Bridge. I've lived in this area all my life. How come I didn't know this? Apparently when the foundations were dug for the store it was discovered. Anyway I turned up to sing and there it was just inside the back door! The door is only opened normally on Heritage Days, though you can see it through the glass. Love Kingston were filming so I couldn't get inside until after we'd sung.

We did a quick warm up and sang two songs - Down By the River and All You Need Is Love. Our next venue was the Rose Theatre Cafe. There was time for me to visit the ruins and take photos before our rehearsal with our accompanist and our concert at 11.30am. Because it was half term we had a varied audience - mums and tots, grandmothers and a knitting group! We sang our love songs - I Only Want To Be With You, Waterloo Sunset, Come Back My Love (lots of Do Wops!), Love Song, Ten Thousand Miles, Let It Be, Happy Together and Goodnight Sweetheart, as well as the two songs we sang outside earlier. Here are a few pictures:












Comments