The Vegan Egg - Bought, cooked and tasted!

I started something in Facebook with my friends. They already know I'm a little crazy. I told them about the new Vegan Egg. Comes in a box with a picture of a hen on the front and the ingredients are derived from algae. I said I would try and track it down and try it. Everyone (all meat eaters) were intrigued and wanted to know more. Well, at least I got their attention! I was on a mission now to find this box.

My local Holland & Barratt didn't have it but today I found it in Food for Thought in Kingston. I jumped on it (not literally) with joy. I think the shop assistant wondered what sort of customer she was encountering. I read everything printed on the box on the bus back home and was determined to use it straight away. I'm not a huge fan of scrambled eggs normally but this was the easier thing to try and had the recipe for it on the front of the box.

So here are my step by step instructions with pictures and a taste test!

The box! Costing a whopping £6,99
Containing the equivalent of 12 eggs


Inside is...a packet of yellow powder and a tip sheet.
There is a website http://share.theveganegg.com/ for anyone interested.
It contains recipes and  more.
The powder smells like egg!

Two tablespoons of powder (10g) and 115 ml of ice cold water. Whisk!
I put some water in the freezer for a few minutes to speed up the process. I was hungry!

Now liquid 'egg'

Heat a little oil and pour the mixture in. It sizzles. You need to break up the mixture
for it to scramble.

Serve on toast. I seasoned with salt and black pepper and added a parsley garnish. Get me!
TASTE - I have to say the texture is like real egg and it tastes okay. I'd eat it again. It surprised me. It may not be quite as fluffy as egg but taste wise it's close.
As an alternative I give it 9 and a half our of 10!

Comments