Vegan cake baking - adapting traditional recipe

Today I made my first cake using the 'vegan egg' replacement. I chose a traditional cake from an old Woman's Realm booklet and adapted it. I was keen to experiment!

Teatime Loaf

Cream 75g of soya spread with 100g caster sugar

Add pre-mixed egg replacement (equivalent of 2 eggs)
I used slightly less water as suggested when double/tripling quanities

Throw in 75g currants, add  200g plain flour, 1 level tsp of baking powder
 and a pinch of nutmeg. Add a splash of soya milk

Put into a loaf tin and bake on Gas Mark 4 for one hour or until done.

After cooling slightly remove from tin

Cut and enjoy!

The cake took longer to cook and looked rather anemic (this is after around 30 minutes over time) but I was loath to cook it even longer because in every other respect  it was ready.  Great taste!

Comments