Free From Cheese

One of my favourites cheeses for Christmas is Wensleydale with Cranberries. I never thought I'd find a vegan alternative but Tesco now have a range of 'cheeses' and I was keen to try this one. I have to say it smells just like cheese, the textures is the same by jingo it tastes the same!

Ditching the dairy cheese is the one thing I think I might just accomplish. I find it harder being a vegan than a vegetarian even at home. My vegetarian son relies heavily on cheese and sometimes I do succumb when I am making a dish for all of us. Sometimes I will make something different for myself but time (and extra washing up) will often dictate.

I realised the other day I rarely buy meat anymore because only my hubby eats it now (my youngest son - a huge meat eater) has moved out. Hubby often buys his own and cooks his own now, though he will eat veggie (and sometimes vegan). When we have meat eating guests I will buy it and cook it but I avoid the meat cabinets in the supermarkets as much as possible.

Regarding eggs, well I did use one last week when I made scones, but I have successfully made cake with egg replacement. Since my vegan pledge I have eaten very few eggs. Eating out is still a problem, especially when I'm with other people but some friends are very conscious of my needs and ask.

Last week I met a few ladies in our local Weatherspoons for a coffee and chat. I was amazed to find they now have soya milk. How long have they been doing that? Strangely only that morning I was asking myself why they didn't because they are very veggie and vegan friendly. Along with Pret a Manger they are my top place to eat!

While talking about vegan food I have gone back to Quorn mince. Yes, it contains eggs but I really don't like the Tesco alternative. However, Quorn do now make vegan 'chicken style' pieces and some nice burgers. I have bought some soya chucks to try. I hope they have improved from the days I first tried them. I will let you know when I have tried them.

I will also admit that at Easter I indulged in Cadbury's Creme Eggs. I know, but I don't like dark chocolate - too bitter for me.

Before I go - our little guinea pig, Cocoa, is fully recovered from her foot infection and out and about much more. I wash her front feet once a day as precaution only now. She is one happy piggy.


Comments