Walking London (3 walks) & public art

Bushy Park
With autumn here I am aware that the time I spend outdoors is lessening. I'm not good in cold weather and I don't like walking in the rain. However, I do now have a pair of fleece backed trousers and some waterproof over trousers for emergencies.

At the weekend (Saturday, to be exact) I headed off for a walk in Bushy Park, entering close to Hampton Court. I haven't been there in ages and I'd forgotten how big it was. My map reading skills leave a lot to be desired and at one point I realised the way I was heading was the opposite direction to where I thought I was going. Hey ho, never mind, there are plenty of gates to exit from and luckily there's always a bus I can take.

I could hear the deer bellowing. They were low in the grass and I stayed well clear of them - not the time of year to be in their face! I did find the Woodland Gardens and they were lovely. Later on I discovered the Water Garden which I don't remember seeing before. I took a packed lunch with me and enjoyed the peace and quiet.

Woodland Gardens, Bushy Park






The Water Gardens, Bushy Park




As well as my obsession with clouds I have joined an eight week course with Morley College discovering public art. This involves meeting in various places in London and taking a two hour walk to visit them. Last week, due to the problem I had with the trains I never actually made it. I was playing catch up, missing the group each time and eventually gave in and went off to St James's Park to take photos of the beautiful autumn trees. The leader for that week emailed me the walk I missed so I can do it for myself sometime.

Green Park

By Buckingham Palace

St James's Park

The Bird Keeper's Cottage, St James's Park




Today the walk was around Canary Wharf, a place I'm not that keen on because the weather has always been dull and cold when I've been before. Today it started off okay and then got cold and windy as the sky clouded over. But we did have moments of brightness and the art was interesting and modern. We ended up at the Docklands Museum where I was pleased to go and have a hot chocolate and some food to warm up again!

The Goddess of Fortune, Jubilee Gardens, Canary Wharf




Love these benches which change colour

Dedicated to Columbus








Next week we are off to Camden. Meanwhile, I'm hoping for another walk this week with a friend while to weather is holding. Of course the weather is making for some interesting cloud forms and that means my camera is always on standby!


Comments