Seeking patience and peace to paint

I am not a very patient person and so the art of Chinese Brush Painting is a challenge. Everything in this form of art is slow and repetitive. One Chinese master spent his whole life painting circles. Yes, really.

Practice, practice, and it does take a hell of a lot of practice. Chinese Brush Painting looks to simple - paint a line, a leaf, a petal. Oh if only it was that simple. There's the problem with right tones of the ink, the right way to hold the brush, the sweep across the paper, the amount of liquid on the brush. It can all go horribly wrong. And it has.

After my little weekend away I decided to invest in some brushes, paper and seals. I borrowed a library book and bought a book on Chinese calligraphy. I was ready....or not. The paper arrived folded and so there is a crease down the middle of each sheet. It's okay for practice but no good for anything else. I shall have to try a different supplier. The library book is good and I followed it word for word. I was pleased with my blossoms, but just like me I soon got tired of blossoms and branches. I wanted a proper picture. So I copied something. It's bad and more an ink painting than a proper brush painting (you get to know the difference). I then got disheartened. I know what it was. I didn't do any meditation first!

There is something to be said for quiet and the right atmosphere. Last time I painted I chose some chill out music and cut myself off from the world. It seemed to work. I do know I have to be in right frame of mind for creative pursuits - a kind of peace. This goes hand in hand with Chinese Brush Painting.

Later on after abandoning my brush work I decided to try something else. I'd also got out of the library a book on line and wash. I love the pictures in this. This time I found some suitable music - Engima - and settled down with ink pens, watercolours and paper. I've found watercolour difficult to work with but due to my efforts with Chinese Brush Painting I found some of those techniques useful - like wiping the brush to take off excess paint/water and using kitchen roll to blot up blobs. I managed three quick drawings with wash. It's a start and I rather like this medium. It will take time to find my way back into painting as I used to do it.

Recently, while searching the cupboard where our art things have been vegetating for years, I came across work I did in my twenties and early thirties. I was quite taken aback and proud of these works. I used to spend a lot of time painting back then.

In my busy life (and with so many interests) it's hard to find time, and you need time for art. At least a few hours. Raw as they are here are some of my paintings and drawings past and present:

Pencil and coloured pencils

Horses was a main subject for me. I drew them all the time when I a child..
My class mates used to ask me to draw horses for them.

David Hockney (pencil)

Berni Flint

Kris Kristofferson (charcoal) I love this
but then I fancied him something rotten back then!

My recent purchase of Chinese Brush Painting brushes
Seals and seal paste

Blossoms

Not happy with this

Line (pen) and wash

Line (pen) and wash

Line (pen) and wash

Who remembers scraperboard? Was all the rage back in the day
There you go a horse again!

Comments