Kew Gardens and Eastbourne

Kew Gardens
A map of the gardens at Kew

What a busy week last week was! As well as the two trips mentioned in the heading, I also went to see a film about Vermeer's Exhibition, looking at the paintings individually. Beautiful and informative.

But last Monday was a trip to Kew Gardens. The weather was overcast, but once the sun did come out it was quite hot. That was the story of last week until Thursday when I woke to sunshine and it lasted all day.

Kew Gardens is so large it is impossible to do everything in a day. This time, we decided not to visit The Hive or the Treetop Walk as we had seen these before. On the agenda this time was a chance to see the flowering of the rare Ghost Orchid and a trip up the Pagoda, which re-opened in 2018. You have to purchase a separate timed ticket for this and costs £4.50. We had booked for 2pm, so there was time to visit other things first.

Our first stop was the Palm House and a chance to test our legs on climbing up to the gallery before trundling up the Pagoda later! 




A view from the gallery



Secondly we visited the Princess of Wales Conservatory where we came across the Ghost Orchid behind glass and still flowering (lucky for us). A quick visit to the Temple of Aeolus and then lunch.






The Ghost Orchid


 


Afterwards we strolled across to the Pagoda. The climb up is 253 steps to the 9th floor. Luckily you can break the climb on the other floors, but they prefer you to do it in one! Really? I had two breaks. The staff dress in Regency dress (men's outfits....dresses too dangerous on those stairs). The views from the top are wonderful and you get an all round view. There are pointers as to buildings long since gone, though the Royal Observatory (as mentioned in a previous post a week or so ago), is still there and just about visible.



These displays have moving parts. Handles below to turn.


Views from the top





Other places we visited were the Temperate House, The Marianne North Gallery and an exhibition about Flowers in the Qur'an at the Shirley Sherwood Gallery of Botanical Art. Our final stopping place was the lake, over which is a lovely bridge.


Japanese Gateway










Temperate House (all above photos)

Cherry Walk

This link takes you to a timeline history of the Kew Gardens. You can also click to other information about Kew.
Lake



Marianne North Gallery
Please click on the link above to read about this incredible artist.




Projection. Photos cannot compare
 with seeing this and all the patterns cast 
on the ceiling, walls and floor.


Day trip to Eastbourne

This was to be a nice relaxing day. All I had planned was a visit to the Towner Gallery to see the Barbara Hepworth Exhibition and then maybe chill on the beach with a book. Oh and paddle!

It seems I am unable to do relaxing! I did paddle. That was my first point of call. A short time on the beach and then off to see the exhibition. So far, so good. The exhibition was very interesting. I didn't know much about Hepworth's paintings, just sketches for her main sculptures, so a lot of what I saw was new to me. I was particularly drawn to her 'hospital' drawings and the moon and sun paintings. I'd love one of those on my wall.
Eastbourne Pier





Barbara Hepworth Exhibition






Inspired by a visit to Goonhilly Earth Station

Genesis III

Sun and Moon
 

After the exhibition I wandered along the prom to Hollywell Cafe for lunch, and then that urge came over me. The one to walk. I checked to see how far away Beachy Head was. Google Maps told me it was just over a mile. Oh, that's not far. So, off I set at the start of the South Downs Way, just 100 miles from my favouirte city, Winchester, where the South Downs Way ends. No, I didn't walk the whole way! I made it to Beachy Head and then thought it would be nice to carry on and try to make it to Birling Gap, where I could pick up a bus to take me back to Eastbourne.

On the walk to my lunch stop (looking back)

Exotic, or what? Top path.

South Downs Way


I'm not great at hills, and there was a fair bit of up and down. Mainly up. But I walked through the pain of my lungs gasping for air and made it. Was it worth it? You bet! The views were fantastic. I'd never walked this far before along the cliff path, and I only wish I'd had more time to explore Birling Gap. But now I know there is a bus, so maybe one day, I can do another stretch.

That view. One of my favourites. Looking back at Eastbourne.


Beachy Head



Birling Gap

Open top bus


As fitting for this day, I took the open top bus back into Eastbourne. There was just time to grab a refreshment break before catching the train back to London. Perfect day!


Comments