Capital Ring Walk 2 - Falconwood to Grove Park

Eltham Park South

 In all the rain we have been having, I managed to find a day that was good for walking. It started off drizzly, but the forecast said it would be sunny later. It was. With links to/from stations this walk is stated as 4.4 miles. An easy one for me.



Beginning where I left off last time (Falconwood station), I headed across the busy Rochester Way and into Shepherleas Wood before crossing via a concrete footbridge into Eltham Park South. Following the footpath down through the park I eventually came out on a road and followed the directions to Butterfly Lane. This leads to Conduit Meadow and Conduit Head which once supplied water to Eltham Palace.


Conduit Head





 From here it is a shortish walk (past Holy Trinity Church and a row of shops) to Eltham Palace itself. I stopped to take some photos but did not go inside as I had been before, and being half term, I expected it to be busy, plus there were Halloween activities! It is a lovely house and really worth a visit, so do look at their website.

Holy Trinity Church

Eltham Palace and moat






Old house opposite Eltham Palace


Eltham Palace and moat (above)
Flying geese (right)


This walk followed quite a lot of roads or established footpaths. The walking was easy. A little muddy in places, but not as bad as I expected. King John's Walk is a long footpath, and there was a playing field to my right where I could get a wonderful view across London. Along this path I also met some horses and donkeys, always worth stopping for!





Eventually, the path brings you to the River Quaggy and the end of the walk. It was here that I somehow went wrong and probably walked further than needed! But I finally found my way to Grove Park station and back into central London.

Gate (King John's Walk)


River Quaggy

Views across London from King John's Playing Fields



Comments