Walthamstow Wetlands walk

 

Tottenham Lock

There is nothing like a walk on a sunny autumn day when the trees have their golden leaves. One place I have wanted to visit for a long time is Walthamstow Wetlands run  by the London Wildlife Trust over in Waltham Forest, East London. It took about an hour to reach, but the travelling was straightforward. This walk also incorporated part of the Lea River, had some handy cafe/toilet stops and comes out as a 5 star walk for me.

Arrival was by tube at Tottenhale Hale station. I wasn't sure what to expect there, but not a large retail park. This is an area I don't know at all and just because of that I thought it was a small stop on the tube! It is a busy area and one of the stops where you can walk to Tottenham Hotspur Football Club (the team me and my eldest son support!).




From the station I turned left. Even I couldn't get lost here as it is signposted 'Walthamstow Wetlands'! First I passed Tottenham Lock where I would come back to later in the day, but from under the bridge. The Wetlands are on both sides of the busy road, but I started where the visitor centre/cafe/shop is in the old Ferry Lane Pumping Station, now called the Engine Room. There is a viewing terrace (with small outside balcony). In the middle you can look down into the cafe below. 

From The Engine House outside balcony



Inside the viewing terrace. The middle square is where you can look down on the cafe.

There are various route you can take, but some are not open in winter due to wintering birds, but there are pathways all around. The views across London are good. I took my bridge camera wth me as I knew my mobile would never cope. My bridge has a good zoom, much needed when photographing birds.

The wetlands




Further along is the Coppermill. The book (London's Waterside Walks) tells me that there has been a mill on this site since the Doomsday Book. This one now has a viewing platform and information by the entrance about the history of the site. 

The Coppermill




View from the top of  The Coppermill

Shortly after leaving the Coppermill, I exited the park and walked under a low bridge (you need to mind your head here...really!) and eventually I came to the Lea Valley Marina Spingfield and the River Lea. Here there is a cafe (Riverside Cafe) where I stopped for tea and a muffin.


River Lea





 I then followed the river admiring the boats and the sun on water. There are various parks on the route that might be worth a look, but I stuck to the path. There are also detours to Tottenham Marshes. I never knew there was so much to see in this area.

Lea Rowing Club










At Markfield Park I did come off the path briefly to take a look at Markfield Beam Engine & Museum, The museum is open some Sundays and Bank Holiday. Please check the website before you visit. It looks intereting. There is also a cafe!

Markfield Beam Engine & Museum



The boats looked colourful along by the river and the reflections were stunning. With the sun shining on the trees, it was magical. It was after crossed under the bridge to Tottenham Lock that I made a slight mistake. I carried on walking along the river, but actually I don't think I missed anything. I crossed anyway later when I reached Stonebridge Lock (Waterside Cafe). 

Stonebridge Lock 




Crossing the bridge and walking back towards Walthamstow Wetlands

Further down I left the river to cross a grassy area skirting Banbury Reservoir and entered Walthamstow Wetlands for a second time by High and Low Maynard Reservoirs. Eventually I came back to the road where I crossed and re-entered the main entrance and visitor centre and the Engine House cafe for refreshments.








Engine Room

This is one to repeat sometime. Entrance to the Wetlands is free and it's just lovely.

Window, Cafe, Engine Room


The Paddock, next door to Walthamstow Wetlands.


Comments