Dulwich - a walk with a reluctant dog!

View across to London from a private estate in Dulwich.

 Some dogs seem happy to ride public transport. Rue isn't. My son and I have taken him for very short rides on buses when he was a puppy, and he'd been unsure. I thought I'd take him on one of my walks to see if it was possible to include him in some of my days out. I chose a short walk. The book said it was three and half miles. However, to get to Dulwich involved a short bus ride and three trains. Rue whined on the bus and all the trains. He also whined when I stopped to take photos on the walk and to check the map in the book. He was not happy! I soon realised this would never work, but I was determined to try and finish the walk.

All went reasonably well. We walked the way of Dulwich College and through some private roads with huge houses. We came across the house where once John Logie Baird lived before we found a view across London from a hill top on a private estate. 

Looking towards Dulwich College

Dulwich College


Dulwich Pond

John Logie Baird's House
Toll House. Couldn't find the board the guidebook said was there.

I believe these are the almshouses, one is supposed to be the oldest house Dulwich




And then we entered Sydenham Woods. Here it was muddy and the signage wasn't great. Rue pulled as we negotiated steps. Dogs have to be on leads here and even if I could let him off, I wouldn't have as his recall isn't great. Normally I clip a trailing lead to him in case he refuses to come back. I can step on it!
 
Sydenham Woods map



Gothic House, Sydenham Woods

 I managed to find the spot I needed to exit the woods only to realise that the footbridge I needed to cross was being repaired and the only exit was up a steep and extremely muddy bank to a gate at the top. To do this I had to cling on to the trunk of young trees, which I didn't think would hold me. Just over half way up I lost my foothold and slid on to my side, still holding Rue's lead with one hand and the tiny trunk of a tree in the other. Trying to contemplate how the hell I would get a foothold to enable me to stand upright, let alone continue the climb, when a workman from the footbridge shouted down and asked if he could take my dog. I wasn't going to refuse help. He took Rue, then my book and finally grabbed hold of my hand and hauled me up to the gate. He even went off to his cabin to get some tissues for me. I had mud all down one side of my leggings (and my bum I realised later), and down the side and sleeve of my jacket, but I was just grateful to have made it.

I found my way down to a fence, but there was no gate. This is the point at which I gave up on the guidebook. We wound our way back, following the fence and through boggy paths, some waterlogged. There was mud everywhere. Finally, we made it back to a proper path, and I caught up with a man I'd met before on this walk and he'd been helpful. He pointed me in the right direction to get out of the woods and back down to Dulwich College. That would do!


Dulwich Park





Boardwalk, Dulwich Park

At that point I was ready to go get the train home, but decided to goon to Dulwich Park where there was a cafe. I'd been there before and longed for a cup of tea (I only had water with me and water for Rue, plus treats). So we entered Dulwich Park from a different direction, but at least we got there. I ordered a pot of tea and the kind lady took my tray to a table. Rue whined in the cafe! It wasn't pleasant for either of us. We were both stressed. Then I had to take Rue into the toilet with me. I mean, what do you do when it's only you and a dog? I have done this once before. Thankfully, the toilet was clean. I'd hate to take him into some toilets I've had to use when out. 

The walk in the guidebook finishes at a different Dulwich station by walking through the village, but I have walked through the village before, and I just wanted to get home now. I'm sure Rue was of the same mind. Instead we walked through the grounds of Dulwich Picture Gallery and headed for the train.

Dulwich Picture Gallery grounds

When we reached home, Rue headed for the sofa. He was desperate to sleep. But he needed a shower first, and then I had to change. After that I made a cuppa and the two of us collapsed on the sofa to de-stress! I took far less photos than normal, but it was a pretty walk. I just found it hard to appreciate it with a stressed dog and all the mud. Rue hasn't held it against me and still cosies up next to me on the sofa and doesn't refuse when I offer to take him for a walk. He is a dog who likes known routes. So I've promised him I shall not do this to him again. Bus rides to local walks is the most I'd attempt, and not that often!

Rue de-stressing with me on the sofa.


Comments