The Planets (Gustav Holst) at The Royal Festival Hall

Royal Festival Hall

I was ten years old when I first heard Jupiter from The Planets (1917) composed by Gustav Holst. It was during a lesson at junior school. I grew up around music at home, the 'wireless' was always on. We listened to Children's Favourites with Uncle Mac and Family Favourites, which I think was on a Sunday lunchtime. Later we listened to Pick of the Pops with Alan Freeman. Our first record player came from my aunt, an old one that only played 78's, but my brother and I had so much fun, winding it up and laughing as it slowed down (kids, you don't know what you missed!).

My dad bought our first proper record player, a Disc Jockey. It had valves you waited for to warm up. I still remember the smell they gave off. Nostalgia! My mum bought a 7 inch single each for my brother and I. He chose Telstar by the Tornadoes and I had The Locomotion by Little Eva. In those days all music was mono. How we have move on, though I find it funny that vinyl is making a comeback. Then I never got rid of any of my vinyl records and I still play them from to time. So, it will come as no surprise that the first classical LP I bought was on vinyl and was The Planets by Gustav Holst.

This was my second time at the Royal Festival Hall to hear this piece of music. The first time was some years ago. The auditorium was packed, and there were lots of children. Very encouraging. The first half of the programme was filled with other music. First up was The Force of Destiny Overture by Verdi. This was a new piece to me which I enjoyed very much. The final piece in this half of the programme was Grieg's Piano Concerto in A Minor, which I have heard parts of before.

Inside the auditorium


After the interval everyone was expectant of the main event. Well, I was. The first piece is Mars, the Bringer of War, my second most favourite piece from this work. Maybe it's the clashing symbols, pulsating drums and the clashing notes. But this was great. There are seven pieces in this work. Jupiter is the fourth. I found it funny that it wasn't until after Jupiter finished that the audience clapped. Classical music is strange. When do you clap - after each piece or at the end? Obviously, like me, the audience were moved by listening to Jupiter, the way I was when I was ten years old. After that there was sporadic clapping after some pieces and a standing ovation at the very end. I'd kind of hoped there would be an encore of Jupiter, but no.

Seated above the orchestra was the organist. He didn't have much to do, and the organ was subtle and only appeared in one, maybe two pieces. It was hard to know with all the other instruments. In the last piece, Neptune there is a mystical choir. The choir for this performance were sitting in a section near the orchestra before the interval. They weren't there during the The Planets until Neptune began. Suddenly, a door opened at the side of the stage and they sang from outside the door to create that mystical, other-worldly sound.

Spy the organist!


Jupiter is the piece most people would know, especially as in 1927 Gustav Holst had a poem written by Sir Cecil Spring Rice set to his music. The hymn, I Vow to Thee, My Country is often played at Remembrance Services and always brings a lump to my throat.

All too soon it was over. But what a wonderful evening. I find it strange the way life connects. Gustav Holst founded Morley College in Lambeth, London and taught there for a time. There is a room named after him. I've done some study there and been in that room. I can do no better than to leave you with my favourite pieces from The Planets, but do go and check out the rest! First is Mars, followed by Jupiter.







Comments