Kingston to Hampton Court - Thames Path

Rue catches his first glimpse of the river from Kingston Bridge

 It was a last minute decision to walk this local stretch of the Thames Path. The day was sunny and warm and likely to be the only good day of the week. I was looking after Rue (the dog), so he had to come too. After the last time I took him on a walk it may have been a silly thing to do, and yes he did whine on the bus to Kingston and on the train coming home from Hampton Court, and he did pull on the walk, but I coped!

Kingston Bridge


Being a local walk, I have walked it many times before, but there is always something to see. After all the rain we've had, the river was high and the lower path towards Hampton Court was flooded. The river was also running very fast. I spotted a lovely tree just into Home Park, which I went to photograph. Home Park runs parallel to the river up to Hampton Court and you can access it from several places along the Thames Path. The park is also a nice place to visit. There are deer roaming the park, a stream and a golf club. 



You can see where the lower path is flooded just above the line of trees

By Home Park

My aim is one day get a good shot of geese flying, taking off or landing on water. I saw several flying overhead, but due to the flooding I couldn't get close enough to the river to take photos of them landing.

There is something about water that I find calming, whether it is the sea, a river, or a tiny brook. One of the best walks I ever did was when staying in Shropshire and walked part of Longmynd. The hills rose high on either side, sheep were grazing and a stream ran, gurgling along the footpath. I had an overwhelming feeling of being dwarfed by nature. It was breathtakingly beautiful. I was walking alone and I felt that too. Just me and nature. I'll never forget that feeling.

The Thames Path is very different, especially in the London sections where you are dodging joggers and tourists. The rural sections are quieter, but you often meet other Thames Path walkers. They are all friendly and say hello. Some even stop for a chat and we swap information about the path ahead. 



More flooding

Chimneys at Hampton Court Palace

Hampton Court Bridge

There has been so much flooding along the path, and it may be a while before I can get back on the trail. All the sections I have left to walk are rural - Dorchester-on-Thames (Oxfordshire) to the source at Kemble (Gloucestershire). If I ever complete it there is the extended path in the other direction which joins the South Coastal Path to the Thames estuary. I have been as far as Erith and onwards to near Slade Green station. I could see the Dartford Bridge crossing in the distance. I have also been to Gravesend, which has lots of interest.

But back nearer home. This section starts at Kingston Bridge and ends at Hampton Court Bridge. You could make a day of it and visit Hampton Court Palace, because the walk is short. Enjoy the photos.

From Hampton Court Bridge



Rue on the train home

Comments