Spring and all that


I couldn't count this wood pigeon in my bird count as it wasn't in my garden!

For the last three years I have taken part in the RSPB big garden bird count. I have varied the times over the years, especially as the first year was so devoid of birds! They have their routines like us, and feed at certain times. This year was no different. About a week or so beforehand, I took down and cleaned all the bird feeders. We have two bird feeding stations which also contain trays. I used to put food on the grass or path, but since having a dog I can't do that because he eats it all. Nor can I use seed with vine fruits in as it's toxic to dogs. Even so, Rue knows where the birds eat and goes searching for any dropped suet or seed. The pigeons are particularly messy eaters!

Having refilled the feeders with peanuts, suet balls and a block, suet pellets and nuts and seeds, re-filled water containers, I thought I'd given the birds enough time to get used to new feeders (I'd had to buy a couple of new ones as one broke when I cleaned it). With all that food, surely the birds would come. Just a couple of robins flitted in and out. When the day came to count the birds, it was another bleak year - two robins, two sparrows and a magpie. Yet, would you credit it, the very next day, the great tits arrived!



Since then the feeders have had visits from pigeons and starlings as well as the robins, sparrows, magpie and great tits. They are the usual crew for my garden, but occasionally we see wrens, perhaps a jay, blue tits and a jackdaw and maybe a crow. There are also the parakeets who drop by now and then and maybe a goldfinch. Sadly, I have not seen a blackbird for ages. They used to be the mainstay of the garden, but have declined where I lived for sure. And as for thrushes which were common when I lived at home (same town), I've never seen one in my garden.

Early morning moon over the roof tops

During the time when birds are feeding young, the garden is busy, as the parents come in and out regularly. And then the babies arrive. That's always lovely. The starlings are the noisiest and most vicious to their parents as they beg and peck them for food. My favourite bird is the common house sparrow. They are so lovely. I call them cheeky chappies. Vocal and happy, and their offspring are so patient to receive food, lining up along the fence, wings fluttering so sweetly.

The weather has been unusually warm for this time of year and bumble bees have been out early too. I hope they are finding enough food, but at least there is blossom appearing now on trees. I saw a whole swath of daffodils when I was out the other day. We have a couple out in our garden, but of all the snowdrops I planted two years ago, only one has appeared. The area over the road to me that I and a neighbour have claimed back from the overgrown mess it was, is now dotted with daffodils I planted late last year and have buds.


Flowers in my front garden

The local park is also sprouting back into life. Last week was the first time I took Rue down through the wooded area. It has been too muddy to venture down for ages, but it is my favourite place. The woods are bounded on one side by Beverley Brook, the other by railway line, and the rest by the park and tennis courts. Fruit trees have been planted in one clearing and at the right time of year you can go blackberry picking.

The wooded area, Beverley Park

Spot the dog!



I took more photos in the park last week. I've grown up with this park. My parents used to bring me and my brother here and I brought my boys here, too. There used to be a pool and sandpit. Now there is a proper fenced off children's play area. The tennis courts have been upgraded and the Friends of Beverley Park keep the gardens nice. During lockdown I jogged here, and now I walk Rue here.

Me with my mum in Beverley Park (late 1950's)

Spring is coming fast now and I can't wait!

Comments