Day trip to Norwich

Such lovely architecture in Norwich

 It was lovely to be back in Norwich briefly last week. I was visiting a friend who was my personal guide around the city. I saw places I'd never been before, despite having visited the city four times in the past.

We began at the Cathedral of St John the Baptist situated just outside the centre of the city. It seemed the cathedral was gearing up for a flower festival as a posse of ladies were busy putting arrangements together in alcoves.

Stained glass window, St John the Baptist Cathedral

Font


This Roman Catholic cathedral is larger than I expected and is apparently the second largest in the country. It has little side chapels and the statues you come to expect in a catholic setting. At the back are two display cases with chalices and other offerings. The font is rather stunning and placed in a side chapel. Rather unique is a carpet and a large, lavish chair for the Bishop. I was intrigued by the canopy by the altar. I do not know the significance of this, but two reasons while searching for an answer were to stop debris falling from the ceiling or to mark the place of martyrs. What I did learn is that this canopy is called a 'baldachin'. Please do watch the short video from the cathedral website as it offers a walk-through tour, including places we didn't see.


Trinty windows

Canopy


Walsingham Chapel

The stained glass windows are beautiful and my photos do not do the colours justice, for they are vibrant.



A glimpse of the cathedral near Plantation Garden

Unfortunately, the cafe was closed by the time we were ready to use it. Maybe next time.

Our second visit was next door to the cathedral and called The Plantation Garden. This is a beautiful place, just like a secret garden, built with the odds and sods of brick, gothic windows and gargoyles. You would think it would look random, but it is so well thought out. There is a beautiful fountain which we sat near. Such a peaceful place that I think only the locals know about. 

Fountain





The gardens were built by Henry Trevor who in 1856 leased a former quarry outside the city and made this unique garden. On the website, you can see historic photos of the garden. The planting includes a banana plant. I love the way the walls curve and there are upper levels to walk round with great views from the top. There are also plenty of benches to enjoy the beautiful surroundings.












Afternoon tea was taken at Britons Arms a thatched roof building built in 1347 and a house where religious women without vows and who lived in the world lived. It has had many uses since, so do read about the history of the building on their website. They do serve some gorgeous cake!




All too soon, it was time to leave. I am assured there is more to see, and I will be back. Norwich is growing on me, and of course there are tons of bookshops which are irresistible to me and my friend.

To finish off here are a few other photos from my trip.

Book Bench Walk - location number 8 on map available from tourist hubs.


This is the street Britons Arms can be found





Comments