Kingston-upon-Thames, an ancient town

Bentalls on a much sunnier day. Eric Gill's relief artwork (see below) appears on the windows

 What a terrible week for rain last week was. I got soaked twice, once in the park with Rue, where we sheltered under a tree while thunder crashed around us. A tree is not a good place to stand when thunder is around, but the thunder came after we had started sheltering. We arrived home like drowned rats.

So, last week was not a good week for walking, or doing much at all actually. But I did need to get my hair cut, so I took myself off to Kingston and decided I would take a few photos of the town closest to me, where I spent my hard earned cash growing up, and worked for a while.

I am lucky to live so close to my beloved River Thames, though news from those in the know, tell me that the once again the path is flooded to a great extent. The next section I am due to walk is impassable, and even nearer home, the tides are washing over the path in Richmond, and I believe Twickenham. Some walkers have been caught out and have waded through, but I shall not be back to continue walking to the source until next year.

Kingston-upon-Thames was overcast the morning I went in on the bus, but the river looks good in any weather really. Because I was early, there were not many people about, which suits me. The older I get, the less I enjoy crowds.

I have posted about Kingston before, and posted photos of it as well, so forgive me if I repeat myself. However, if you have come across my blog for the first time, it will all be new to you. Here the River Hogsmill pours into the Thames, passing between the Guildhall and the Police Station in the High Street, and under the ancient Clattern Bridge where sometimes Herons are seen. The Clattern Bridge is the oldest intact bridge in England. Built in 1175, it replaced the former Saxon bridge called Clatrung bridge, thought to be due to the clatter of horses going over it. Scolds, a person causing public nusisance, were ducked here up until 1745.

Clattern Bridge and the Hogsmill River


Guildhall

Police station on the left and the Rose Theatre on the right
The blue railings is the bridge under which the Hogsmill River flows.


Nearby is the coronation stone, which has been moved from its original place. Read this article to learn about the kings crowned in Kingston along with a little myth and history. It has some rather nice colour drawings and some photos.

The coronation stone was once used as a mounting block for horse riders and was situated in the market square!

Also in Kingston is part of the old Kingston Bridge under part of the back of John Lewis, which can be seen on certain days. I have been lucky enough to view it. 

Ancient Market Place 

Market House where the Tourist Information Office used to be








There is the ancient market surrounded by some rather wonderful buildings if you look beyond the facade of the modern shops, and Eric Gill (a controversial artist) produced relief artwork on the outside of the Bentalls building. The store was started by Frank Bentall in 1867 with one shop. As I have said before, I have many memories of this place as it runs through my family going back to my paternal grandparents. I worked there myself for nine months when I was fifteen. There is an excellent article here which is a new one on me, but very interesting.

Entrance to the Apple Market

Apple Market


There is the Apple Market, not very busy on a the damp morning I was there, but usually it is bustling with people sitting outside cafes chatting and watching the world go by. There used to be an audio shop in this market where I used to go to buy a new stylis for my record player! The old post office is now being converted into luxury apartments at £700,000 a go, and new developments seem to be going on everywhere, the latest, near Kingston station.

The history of Kingston-upon-Thames




Along by the River are Queen's Promanade towards Surbiton and Canbury Gardens leading eventually towards Teddington Lock (made famous by Monty Python and the fish slapping sketch) and Richmond.



House boats line parts of the river and Turks boats, including a couple of old steamers will take you to Hampton Court one way and Richmond the other.

Sculpture by the Thames




Kingston Bridge






There is more to Kingston than the things I have mentioned, like All Saints Church and the Museum and Heritage Centre. I am sure I will return to these another time. I hope you have enjoyed my mini tour around Kingston-upon-Thames.

Yarmouth Belle steamer. A Turks boat taken in May this year from Queen's Promanade to Hampton Court

Rue's first boat trip (May 2024)



Comments